dijous, 17 de desembre del 2015

Chiharu Shiota VS Miguel Castellano (entrevista y fotos)


Your exhibition has an intense emotional force. What do you want people experience with your work?
       
With my works I would like the people to think about their existence as human beings in the world. Of course, there are many forms of social existence - as a child, a friend, a mother, father, different ways of being a part of a social collective - but I would like people to show how to come back to their existential roots, the beginning of their life and the questions of the role of a being in the world.

What is the main message in your exhibition " In the beginning"?
     
In context of the main statement of my artworks the message of the exhibition “In the beginning was…” is the question of our existence and the beginning of it. Often I am asking myself about the meaning of life, of mankind and the effect of our civilisation and our intellectual power.



You use wool and stones in your work. What is the meaning of both of them and why do you use them?

Black threads refer to a more universal, all-embracing space – as a night’s sky and the universe. Black, suggesting the darkness of the night sky, enters those of my works that demonstrate universal truths and ideas that tend more toward the abstract. The threads and strings connect and transmit, they are bridges in space that bring together the stones; I use them to establish connections between all of the points in space where they come together. Threads that run from wall to wall, from ceiling to floor, from one to another; they intersect creating labyrinths and, at the same time, making it impossible to reach the object or objects being exhibited. Years ago, when I have visited PLANTA the first time I immediately knew that I would like to create an artwork with stones. It refers best to the original space - PLANTA - and it belongs to the elements fire, water, earth and air with which I use to work in former artworks.

There are no people in this exhibition (except in "Bathroom" installation , but we can feel the presence of people by the objects you use. Why are there no people?
  
Indeed, there are no people in most of my exhibitions.However, there is still the existence of people through the used objects in my installations (the shoes, the windows). One of the main meaning of my artwork is presence through absence.

You're a plastic artist as well as a performer. When do you choose each one to express your ideas?     
I never use new materials, only the ones that have been used before because they have memory and a trace of life. Choosing objects or performing depends on what I find that allows me to  work either on materials or other aspects.    



What about your experience with the great performer Marina Abramovich?

The experience of studying with Marina changed my perception as an artist. She showed me a new way of treating art keeping the materials aside to focus more on time and space. I learned the  philosophical approach and the real energy we need to put into creating: more guts and less materialism. 
                  
What are your main influences as an artist?
  
My main influence is all related to humans like our memories, history, personal experiences, emotions…as if putting life on a small scale with my installations.

What  are your next projects?


There are many projects in future I really look forward to. I will participate at the Biennale of Sydney next March as well as at a very interesting group show of Japanese artists in February at KØS Museum in Køge, Denmark. In fall 2016 I will have two exhibitions in Japan at KAAT Kanazawa Arts Theater and at the Toyota Museum of Art in Aichi. I will also create stage design for a play by the german actress Corinna Harfouch at Akademie der Künste, Berlin, among others.

Cap comentari:

Publica un comentari a l'entrada